I migrated this blog to my YouTube Channel - Click here to view.
Articles on this site are out of date since some go back to 2006.
Regulations and property ownership may have changed since publication.
It is your responsibility to know and obey all regulations and not trespass on private property
Bassin' - Best Bass Lakes in NVA
Monday, August 07, 2006
BEST BASS LAKES IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA
"John Odenkirk, a Department of Game and Inland Fisheries fish biologist, has ranked major reservoirs in Northern Virginia after sampling the largemouth bass population. Here is his top10 ranking for big bass habitat:
1. Burke Lake, 218 acres, Fairfax County. This public lake has a phenomenal bass population, never mind that it is in D.C.’s backyard
2. Mountain Run Reservoir, a 75-acre lake in Culpeper County, is called the district’s “sleeper” bass lake by Odenkirk.
3. Occoquan Reservoir, 2,100 acres, Fairfax County.
4. Motts Reservoir, 160 acres, Spotsylvania County.
5. Lake Orange, 124 acres, Orange County, no other reservoir in the region comes close to growing as many bass 20 inches and over.
6. Pelham Reservoir, 255 acres, Culpeper County.
7. Lake Anna, 9,600 acres, near Charlottesville.
8. Brittle Lake, 77 acres, Fauqier County.
9. Abel Lake, 185 acres, Fauquier County.
10. Curtis Lake, 91 acres, Stafford County."
Unless stated otherwise, this article was authored
by Steve Moore
Finally, access points may be different or restricted based on changes in property ownership since posting the original article. It is up to you to make sure you are fishing where it is legal.